Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Try The International Angle

Desparate times call for desparate measures, to borrow the cliche. This real estate market is certainly as desparate as many of us have seen in our lifetimes.

Sellers shouldn't give up hope, even if their agents have. I have commented several times over the past couple of years about looking to identify the logical potential buyer for your property. Face it, if your property has been listed for weeks (or longer), chances are the one buyer you need is not local, or has not been approached with an enticing reason to act.

While doing some research for one of my clients, I came upon an interesting piece from this past weekend. It contains suggestions for Canadians about steps to take in order to purchase U.S. real estate, and explains some of the factors to consider.

Upon first reading, the article seems complicated. Then again, I don't know Canadian tax laws and how their financial dealings within the U.S. work in comparison to this country.

This brings me to an important point. Properties are not selling. Yet, too many realty agents are staying within their territory, comfort zone, and the same approach no matter what. Sellers should expect more, or start doing their own research and homework to help their property sell.

Instead of reading the constant flow of negative sales statistics and passing out business cards at the local flower show, agents should be at the library or online researching the answers to questions they have about the Canadian tax laws raised in this story. I would do that in an attempt to find out which price range(s) would be most appealing to Canadians. If I had to, I would contact a financial planner or expert I know and have him or her help me with answers.

And I would do this by this Friday, with the idea of identifying a price range and ways to make properties appeal to Canadian buyers both financially and logistically.

Why by Friday? Because I would want to place an advertisement for the coming weekend's publication, perhaps the Globe & Mail which ran this story. They would be publishing stories geared toward their target audience, which tells me they are reaching at least some affluent investors who would find the story interesting.

If those same people saw an advertisement the following week (while the original story is still fresh in their minds) it would likely draw some responses.

Presto. I could gain some Canadian buyers ready to move on one or more properties to their liking, and demonstrate the financial advantages to them. And then collect buyer commissions in the near future, while developing a network for the future.

If I had a large property to sell, I would probably do this personally, and then tell my realty agent I have a buyer but I'd want a commission reduction because I got that buyer on my own. Even if I don't get that consideration, I would have helped to get my property sold while others are still sitting around on the market.

Although I don't normally give away my commission generating ideas this easily, for the sake of example, here is the article I'm referring to:


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/the-ins-and-outs-of-buying-us-real-estate/article2022807/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Report%20On%20Business&utm_content=2022807


Keep thinking about who COULD buy your property, instead of retreading who can't or won't.

No comments: