Friday, March 13, 2009

Flood Safety Awareness Week is coming..........

Flood Safety Awareness Week is March 16 through 20. Based on the heavy rain and snow that hit much of the northern part of the country last weekend, this is especially important. I didn’t realize until this week that FEMA reports that 90% of all natural disasters in the country involve flooding. I’ll admit I would have guessed fires and hurricane winds before flooding.

To that point, the National Weather Service has contributed more data and additional resources to increase knowledge of what to do before, during, and after a flood. Especially before. The government web site,
www.FloodSmart.gov, has beefed up the information it now provides.

It is worth knowing about, even for those who do not live in a flood threatened area. And once again, if you are a realty agent or a lender, you should let your current and potential clients know about this. If I were an agent or lender and there is a river, lake, or creek in my farm area with any flooding history, I would be alerting nearby homeowners to this site, whether my clients or not. Again, it not only helps the community, but it presents a positive publicity spin.

No comments: